Grounding and centering is a very basic energy technique. Use it before ritual, spell work, projects, public speaking, or any time where you need to be at your best, especially under pressure. This can be done anytime, anywhere, and with some practice you can accomplish it in an instant.
- Stand up straight.
- Feet firmly planted shoulder width apart.
- Quiet your mind.
- Take 3 deep cleansing breaths; in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- From the bottoms of your feet picture roots growing down towards the ground, reaching below the surface as far and wide as you can imagine. Picture them burrowing further deep into the rich loam of the earth. Down past the water table, below the rocks and sand, below the rivers. Further still all the way towards the center of the earth. Below each layer, deep into the earth.
- Begin to feel the warmth of the center as you approach it. Break into the magma at the center and let your tendril roots rest in Mother Gaia’s warmth. Now begin to pull the warm golden orange energy up into your roots, pull it up through the many layers, back up past the underground rivers, rocks, and sand. Up through the rich loam and stop just below your feet.
- Take another deep breath, in through your nose and out your mouth. Upon the next inhale begin to pull that warm energy up into your feet. Feel is begin to fill your feet, rising higher, up your calves to your knees, up further to your hips. With each inhalation bring it further still as it fills your torso, each arm down to each finger tip, up your shoulders, neck and filling your head.
- Feel the energy swirling within you so you are completely filled with warm rich energy from the earth.
- Picture branches growing from your arms and shoulders that stretch up high towards the sky. As they grow, picture them full with leaves. They stretch further and further into the sky, past the roofs, tall trees, up until you get past the atmosphere.
- Like a satellite dish, find the silvery white energy from the moon, or a star (depending on what phase the moon is in). Picture the energy radiating down to you through your leaves and branches, back down toward earth, energizing each leaf as it descends. Pull it down past the tops of other trees, past the roofs of buildings, down to the top of your head. And just like with the earth’s energy, pause before pulling it in, stop and take a deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- With your next inhalation pull that silvery white energy in through the top of your head. Let it mix and swirl with the warm energy from the earth. Feel it flow into you, filling you up from the top down. First your head, neck, then your shoulders, into each of your arms all the way to the tips of your fingers, down your torso, and into each leg all the way to the tips of your toes.
- You should see these two energies mix and mingle with one another, coalescing.
- Feel how your body absorbs and revitalizes with this mixture of energy. Every cell should feel a comfortable, calm, strong, and energized.
- At this point you can either reabsorb the roots and tree limbs or disconnect from them and picture them reabsorbed by the earth and the star/moon.
- Picture at your solar plexus a key. Turn the key to lock everything in place. As you lock it, feel the energy tighten just enough from each corner of your body as if to securely set the energy in place.
You are now grounded and centered!
There is a famous prayer in Sanskrit that first appears in the Rig Veda (iii /62/10) called the gayatri mantra that almost every Hindu knows. In roman letters it is as follows:
Om bhur bhuvah svah
bhargo devasya dhimahi
dhiyo yo nah pracodayat
Of all the versions I’ve heard of this mantra, this is my favorite.